Cool Down this Summer with these Homemade Tripe-Decker Citrus Popsicles.
Serve a treat that’s as pretty as it is tasty. The trick to this pop’s tri-colored look is simple: freeze the first layer alone for 45 minutes, then add a second layer and freeze again, and finish with the third. Freeze the complete pop overnight to keep it solid even in the sun’s hottest rays.
1 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice (from 2 to 3 blood oranges)
1 cup freshly squeezed tangerine juice (from 3 to 4 large tangerines)
1 cup freshly squeezed white grapefruit juice (from 1 to 2 grapefruit)
About 1/4 to 1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 to 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1. Taste the blood orange juice. Add 2 tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. lemon juice and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Taste again to see if it has the right sweetness and tartness for you, bearing in mind that, when frozen, the juice will taste more subdued; add up to 1 tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. lemon juice if needed. Repeat with tangerine and grapefruit juices, using the same range of sugar and lemon juice for each.
2. Fill each popsicle molds 1/3 full with blood orange juice and freeze, making sure they’re level and upright, until firm to the touch, about 45 minutes.
3. Fill each mold 1/3 more with tangerine juice and freeze just until firm to the touch, another 45 minutes. Carefully insert sticks, leaving 1 1/2 to 2 inches of each sticking out. Freeze until sticks feel solidly anchored, about 45 minutes.
4. Fill each mold to top with grapefruit juice, cover, and freeze 2 hours or overnight.
5. To unmold, run warm water over the individual molds just until popsicles release from sides, 5 to 15 seconds.
Calories 77, Calories from fat 2%, Protein 0.5g, Fat 0.2g, Saturated Fat 0.0g, Carbohydrate 19g, Fiber 0.1g, Sodium 1.5mg, Cholesterol 0.0mg
About the Author…
Sarah’s diet constists of 3 things: Family, Fitness & Fun. As a mommy of 3 she has gotten creative in having them lend their little hands in the kitchen, as well as in their at home gym. When the apron is off and the yoga mat has been put away Sarah enjoys a night on the town with her husband and friends.